- 2 Cups portobello mushrooms, cubed (smaller pieces) gills removed **see note about sautéing first.
- 2 cups cooked black beans, rinsed and divided
- 1/2 cup red onion, minced
- 3 XL eggs, beaten (For Vegan option, use chia or flax eggs)
- 1/2 Cup + 2 Tbsp Panko or Gluten Free Panko crumbs
- 1 Tbsp Neapolitan Herb Dark Balsamic
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 3/4 Cup fresh grated Parmesano Reggiano cheese (We opted for 2 Tbsp Nutritional yeast)
- UP EVOO
Sauté your mushrooms with UP EVOO first and set aside.
In a large bowl, add 1 cup of black beans and mash with a masher (chunks are OK).
Next, add in the mushrooms, the rest of the beans, garlic, onion, Neapolitan Herb Balsamic and steak seasoning.
Mix just until coated.
Add the rest of the ingredients and mix gently with a large spoon until the mixture is combined.
Set aside while you add 2 Tbsp of olive oil to a medium non-stick pan and work it up to medium heat. Once the oil gets to temp (minute or two), using dampened hands (burger mixture won't stick if you don't), scoop a 1/2 cup of mixture into the palm of your hand and gently shape into a burger all the while pressing together. The mixture should hold a burger shape. If not, add a Tbsp more of bread crumbs to what's in your hands.
Place in the oil and cook for 3-5 minutes per side or until golden brown and a crust has formed on each side.
Serve with hummus, guacamole, steak sauce, or toppings of your choice and on your bun of choice.