- One 4 1/2 to 5 pound roasting chicken
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter softened slightly
- 2 Tablespoons Herbes de Provence Olive Oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 whole organic lemon pierced all over with a knife or fork
Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
Remove giblets from chicken, pat dry. Mix butter, garlic, Herbes de Provence olive oil, salt and pepper together in a small bowl. Slide your hand under the skin, between the breast meat to loosen, and rub herb butter all over, including some under the skin of the bird. Insert the whole lemon into the cavity of the chicken, and truss legs together with twine.
Place chicken on a wire roasting rack set inside a pan.
Roast chicken until skin turns brown, about 30-40 minutes. Baste with any herb butter in the roasting pan, and reduce heat to 350 degrees F. and continue to cook until a thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh reaches 165 degrees F, about 30-35 minutes more.
Let chicken rest on platter, covered loosely with foil for 15 minutes before serving.